Monthly Archives: September 2014

To marry or not to marry…

A1When a man proposes marriage to the love of his life and she accepts the proposal and they become engaged, they are said to have concluded a contract to marry in the future. When an engagement is called off one often gets the situation where the aggrieved party wants to sue his/her ex for breach of promise.

Recent case law regarding the breach of promise to marry

Although there is frustration and heartbreak that may be experienced at the end of an engagement, the unfortunate reality of the matter is that it is not that easy to succeed in a monetary claim against somebody who is not intent on fulfilling his/her promises. 

Our common law has, over the years, recognised the principle that the aggrieved party has a claim for breach of promise. Traditionally this claim comprises two parts, namely:

  1. The delictual claim which the aggrieved party would have under the action injuriarum for contumelia, in other words, damages for the humiliation caused as a result of the break-up of the relationship; and
  2. The contractual claim for the actual financial loss suffered by the aggrieved party as a result of the break-up of the relationship of the parties. 

Van Jaarsveld vs Bridges (2010) SCA

In the Supreme Court of Appeal case Van Jaarsveld vs Bridges (2010), it was found that no claim in South African law exists other than actual expenses incurred in the planning and preparation of the marriage.

In the judgement DP Harms, in respect of breach of promise, draws attention to a court’s right and more importantly, duty to develop the common law, taking into account the interests of justice and at the same time to promote the spirit, purport and objects of the Bill of Rights.

DP Harms said that he is unable to accept that parties, when promising to marry each other, at that stage of their relationship would contemplate that a breach of their engagement would have financial consequences as if they had in fact married. The assumption of the two parties is that their marital regime will be determined by their subsequent marriage. DP Harms then concluded that in his view an engagement is more of an unenforceable pactum de contrahendo, providing a spatium deliberandi: “a time to get to know each other better and in which they would decide whether or not to finally get married.”

ES Cloete vs A Maritz (2013) WCH

The question whether or not the claim for breach of promise is a valid cause of action in South African law was once again considered in the Western Cape High Court. In this Court, Judge Robert Henney was the presiding Judge in the matter of ES Cloete vs A Maritz.

Miss Cloete claimed that Mr Maritz proposed formally to her in Namibia on the 9th February 1999 with an engagement ring, and she accepted.

The relationship was turbulent and a decade later Maritz called off the engagement and the intended wedding, telling her that he no longer wanted to marry her or even see her, and that he had someone new in his life.

Cloete instituted action against Maritz and alleged that Maritz’s refusal to marry her amounted to a repudiation of the agreement which they had reached 10 years earlier.

Her claim

There were three aspects to Cloete’s claim:

1. She wanted repayment of R26 000.00 that she had given him in 1994 and 1996 for a business he was involved in.

2. She wanted R6.5 million to make up for the financial benefits she would have enjoyed had they concluded the marriage, including amounts for the use and enjoyment of the house commensurate with the lifestyle enjoyed and maintained by the parties at the time of their cohabitation. She also wanted maintenance of R8 500.00 a month for 25 years.

3. Finally she wanted R250 000.00 in damages for breach of promise, impairment to her personal dignity and her reputation.

His claim

Maritz denied the allegations that Cloete has made and stated in replying papers that Cloete was in fact the one who had called off their wedding and he had merely accepted it. Maritz raised a special plea that “breach of promise” did not constitute a valid cause of action based on the Supreme Court of Appeal’s judgement in Van Jaarsveld vs Bridges 2010 (4) SA 558 (SCA), a judgement which this court is obliged to follow.


In his judgment Judge R Henney said: “Clearly, to hold a party accountable on a rigid contractual footing, where such a party fails to abide by a promise to marry does not reflect the changed mores, morals or public interest of today.”

Judge R Henney went on to say in his judgement: “It is my view that considerations of public policy and our own society’s changed mores cannot permit a party to be made to pay prospective damages on a purely contractual footing, where such a party wants to resign from a personal relationship and thus commits a breach of a promise to marry. Such a situation is in my view entirely untenable and cannot be allowed.”

The judge also said: “As pointed out by Sinclair, The Law of Marriage Vol 1 (1996), to hold a party liable for contractual damages for breach of promise may in fact lead parties to enter into marriages they do not in good conscience want to enter into, purely due to the fear of being faced with such a claim. This is an untenable situation.” 


The world has moved on and morals have changed. Divorce, which in earlier days was only available in the event of adultery or desertion, is now available in the event of an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. There is no reason why a just cause for ending an engagement should not likewise include the lack of desire to marry the particular person, irrespective of the ‘guilt’ of the latter. Unwillingness to marry is clear evidence of the irretrievable breakdown of the engagement. It appears illogical to attach more serious consequences to an engagement than to a marriage.

Maritz`s special plea was upheld and it was found that the claim for breach of promise is not a valid cause of action in South African law. As appears from the above decision, no claim in law exist other than actual expenses incurred in the preparing of the marriage. This effectively excluded any damages for breach of the promise to marry.

This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied on as legal or other professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your legal adviser for specific and detailed advice.

Vinniger en goedkoper dispuutbeslegting? Mediasie is die antwoord.

A2Tot onlangs toe was litigasie, met ander woorde die instel van ‘n aksie of ‘n aansoek in ‘n gepaste hof, die enigste opsie wat oorweeg is wanneer twee partye in ‘n dispuut betrokke raak. Hierdie proses is ‘n langdradige proses wat relatief duur is en ‘n mens moet dikwels, veral in die Hooggeregshof, vir jare wag vir ‘n datum sodat die saak deur ‘n Regter aangehoor kan word.

Mediasie is ‘n merkbaar vinniger en goedkoper alternatief vir litigasie. Die partye en hulle regsverteenwoordigers verskyn voor ‘n onafhanklike mediator wat die partye lei om, deur sinvolle kommunikasie met mekaar tot ‘n werkbare oplossing vir hulle dispuut te kom – een wat vir beide partye aanvaarbaar is. Hierdie proses stel die partye in staat om beheer te neem van die situasie, in vergelyking met ‘n situasie waar ’n Landdros of ‘n Regter in ‘n hof ‘n beslissing maak waaroor die partye geen beheer het nie.

Die koste hieraan verbonde is baie minder as litigasie, aangesien die koste beperk is tot die paar uur wat dit duur om tot ‘n vergelyk te kom. Dit is ook baie vinniger – die mediasie vind plaas op ‘n plek en tyd wat beide partye en die mediator pas.

Ons hoogste hof van appèl, die Appèlhof in Bloemfontein, het in die saak van die Staat versus Mnr en Mev J beslis dat in daardie aangeleentheid, waar dit gegaan het oor die primêre verblyfplek van ‘n kind, die hoë koste en uitgerektheid van litigasie finansieel en emosioneel skade sou berokken aan die partye, en dat die partye in enige dispuut eers moet poog om die dispuut te besleg deur middel van mediasie voordat ‘n hof genader word.

Voormelde beslissing dien nou as ‘n riglyn vir die laer howe wat ook geneig sal wees om te beveel dat sake eers vir mediasie verwys moet word voordat ‘n hof genader word om ‘n beslissing te maak.

Die Wetgewer het hierdie beginsel nou in Wetgewing beliggaam en die reëls van die Landdroshof sal in Desember 2014 gewysig word wanneer daar voorsiening gemaak word daarvoor dat partye eers vir mediasie kan gaan voordat aksie of aansoek in die hof ingestel word. Die Wysigingswet maak ook daarvoor voorsiening dat ‘n Landdros, tydens aanhoor van ‘n saak in sy of haar hof, kan beslis dat die saak eers vir mediasie verwys moet word alvorens hy of sy ‘n beslissing maak.

Mediasie is derhalwe inderdaad die toekoms en by Conradie Prokureurs stel ons voor dat hierdie opsie as ‘n geskilbeslegtingsmetode eers oorweeg word:  dit is baie goedkoper, dit is baie vinniger en u as party bly in beheer van die hele proses.

Tana du Toit by ons kantoor is ‘n gekwalifiseerde Mediator. Kontak haar gerus vir enige advies of navrae wat u in hierdie verband het.

Hierdie is ‘n algemene inligtingstuk en moet gevolglik nie as regs- of ander professionele advies benut word nie. Geen aanspreeklikheid kan aanvaar word vir enige foute of weglatings of enige skade of verlies wat volg uit die gebruik van enige inligting hierin vervat nie. Kontak altyd u regsadviseur vir spesifieke en toegepaste advies.

Het ek ‘n dranklisensie nodig indien ek ‘n funksie of fondsinsameling hou?

A3Die vraag of ‘n persoon ‘n dranklisensie benodig wanneer daar ‘n funksie of fondsinsameling gereël word, is ‘n baie algemene een. Die Wes-Kaapse Drankwet, Wet 4 van 2008 (hierna “die Wet”) bepaal dat ‘n persoon slegs drank mag verkoop of mikro-vervaardig in die provinsie van die Wes-Kaap, indien daardie persoon in besit is van ‘n geldige dranklisensie wat uitgereik is deur die Wes-Kaapse Drankowerheid (hierna “die Drankraad”).

Die klem word geplaas op die verkoop of mikro-vervaardiging van drank, wat beteken dat ‘n persoon wat ‘n funksie of geleentheid hou waar die drank gratis verskaf word aan die gaste nie ‘n dranklisensie benodig nie. Dit is problematies vir persone of besighede wat ‘n funksie of fondsinsameling wil reël en drank tydens die geleentheid wil verkoop.

Die Wet maak dit in sekere gevalle moontlik om vir ‘n spesiale geleentheids-lisensie aansoek te doen wat jou magtig om drank te verkoop vir gebruik op of weg van die perseel tydens die spesiale geleentheid. Op hierdie stadium kan jy slegs ‘n spesiale geleentheidslisensie kry vir die gebruik van drank op die perseel of weg van die perseel, maar nie vir albei gelyktydig nie.

Die voorsittende beampte van die Drankraad kan egter slegs indien enige van die volgende aansoekers aansoek doen, ‘n spesiale geleentheidslisensie toestaan, nl. (a) ‘n Opvoedkundige instelling anders as ‘n skool, (b) ‘n Welsyns- of kultuurorganisasie, (c) Die organiseerder van ‘n uitstalling, (d) Die sekretaris, bestuurder of hoof opsiener van ‘n bona fide wedren of sportbyeenkoms of soortgelyke geleentheid, (e) Die organiseerder van ‘n kunsvertoning.

Aansoek vir ‘n spesiale geleentheidslisensie word gedoen deur Vorm 13, soos voorgeskryf in Aanhangsel 3 van die Wet, te voltooi en onder andere die volgende daarby aan te heg:

  • ‘n Plan van die voorgestelde perseel;
  • ‘n Terreinplan;
  • ‘n Volledige beskrywing van die perseel;
  • Skriftelike vertoë ter ondersteuning van die aansoek; en
  • ‘n Bewys dat die aansoeker die reg het om die perseel te okkupeer. 

Hierdie aansoek moet 14 dae voor die spesiale geleentheid ingedien word. Die oorspronklike aansoek word by die Drankraad ingedien, terwyl twee afskrifte by die aangewese drankoffisier ingedien word.

Daar is ‘n Konsepwysigingswetsontwerp op die Wet wat tans die rondte doen. Die voorgestelde wysigings wat betrekking het op spesiale geleentheidslisensies is dat die aansoek 21 dae voor die geleentheid ingedien moet word en nie meer slegs 14 dae voor die tyd nie, en dat daar aansoek gedoen kan word vir die verkoop van drank vir die gebruik op en weg van die perseel tydens dieselfde funksie of fondsinsameling.

Die fooie wat betaalbaar is aan die Drankraad om aansoek te doen vir die verskeie tipes lisensies word voorgeskryf deur Aanhangsel 1 van die Wet en is tans R250-00 vir ‘n aansoek vir ‘n spesiale geleentheidslisensie. Sodra die aansoek toegestaan word, is ‘n fooi van R150-00 per dag van die spesiale geleentheid betaalbaar. Hierdie fooi word voorgeskryf deur Aanhangsel 2 van die Wet.

Indien u bystand verlang in die verband, kan u John Erasmus by  kontak of gedurende kantoorure by 023 347 0996 skakel.

Hierdie is ‘n algemene inligtingstuk en moet gevolglik nie as regs- of ander professionele advies benut word nie. Geen aanspreeklikheid kan aanvaar word vir enige foute of weglatings of enige skade of verlies wat volg uit die gebruik van enige inligting hierin vervat nie. Kontak altyd u regsadviseur vir spesifieke en toegepaste advies.

Common law marriage in South Africa

A4In South African law there is no such thing as a common law marriage. People simply believe that living together with another person for a continuous period of time establishes legal rights and duties between them. This is a common misunderstanding especially with young adults.

The only way to be protected in our law is to enter into a universal partnership agreement. Such an agreement clarifies the rights and duties of the partners. The agreement will determine what would happen to property and assets of the couple if they should decide to separate. The agreement is, however, not enforceable in so far as third parties are concerned. Only a valid marriage is enforceable against third parties. It is important to note that partners can sometimes be jointly and severally liable if they acted within the scope of the partnership. An agreement such as this will be legally binding as long as it contains no provisions that are immoral or illegal. If there is no agreement on the dissolution of a universal partnership agreement, a party would only be entitled to retain those assets which he or she has purchased and owns and further would be entitled to share in the assets proportionately in terms of the contribution which they have made to the partnership.

To prove the existence of such a partnership it must be shown that:

  • The aim of the partnership was to make profit.
  • Both parties must have contributed to the enterprise.
  • The partnership must operate to benefit both parties.
  • The contract between the parties must be legitimate.
  • There must be valid consent.
  • There is an intention to create a legally binding agreement.

Where there is no express agreement, a tacit agreement may be proved if it is found that it is more probable than not that such an agreement had been reached between the parties at the time of cohabitation.

Because the existence of a universal partnership is somewhat difficult to prove, and it may not be a claim that you wish to have to make or defend, it is advisable to consider entering into a contract that spells out how property should be dealt with on termination of the relationship by death or otherwise. Such a contract would provide some certainty for cohabitees regarding the division of assets and settlements of liability on termination of the relationship.

Some of the consequences of the absence of a legal ground between parties in such relationships are:

  • No exemption from donations tax in respect of donations between them.
  • Cohabitees do not benefit from the laws relating to the exemption from estate duty of bequests to spouses.
  • There is no reciprocal obligation of maintenance.
  • Cohabitee is not a recognised claimant if his/her partner dies intestate.
  • There is no right to property or assets that belong to cohabitee.
  • There is no reciprocal duty to contribute to household necessities.

The Domestic Partnerships Bill of 2008 is still in its formulation stage and it remains to be seen how it is to be implemented. In the current constitutional dispensation it is unlikely that a partner will be left in despair, taking into account the Domestic Partnerships Bill.

This article is a general information sheet and should not be used or relied on as legal or other professional advice. No liability can be accepted for any errors or omissions nor for any loss or damage arising from reliance upon any information herein. Always contact your legal adviser for specific and detailed advice.